[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Feb 16 11:10:54 CET 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:30:18 +0000 (GMT)
the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, rayzam wrote:
>>From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>

>> That's a misleading analogy. I'll start off assuming that he
>> liked his paintings. And they like his paintings. So he's
>> representative of that painting style. It doesn't mean they can
>> all paint the way he does, or enjoy what he paints, the same way
>> the players of a mud may not be able to code the way the
>> designers and developers do.

> I'm not sure how a person can be representative of a painting
> style. His paintings can be, but he can't be. Two painters can
> paint in a similar style yet have completely different
> personalities, and yet be liked by the same audience.

Bubba designs and writes games and has a been doing so for a
considerable time.  Population Boffo are fans of Bubba's games.  The
resulting matrix can be examined logically;

  Can Bubba be assumed to represent Boffo well?  No.

  Do Bubba's products represent Boffo?  Yes, in that the select the
  population Boffo..

  Do Bubba's *OR* Boffo's statements regarding Bubba's products
  necessarily represent either Bubba or Boffo well? No.

etc, which all misses the point.

  Bubba has a player base.  He tends to talk to them, to listen to
  them, to be influenced by them.  Bubba also participates here.  By
  basic intellectual contagion Bubba's player population ends up
  having input into MUD-Dev, despite having no direct
  representation.

Your recent comments on this list for instance on players wanting to
buy building rights, on players political behaviour in your games
are direct examples of this.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu