[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri Feb 16 11:17:49 CET 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 21:16:56 +1100
Kevin Littlejohn <darius at bofh.net.au> wrote:

> I've watched a few of the DVD "alternate soundtracks" (well,
> alright, technically I've listened to a few of them while
> re-watching the movies), and the thing that's struck me every
> single time is that the Producer/Director/ Writer giving the
> commentary is an idiot who hasn't understood the movie ;)

There is a well known tale of Isaac Asimov sitting in on a class
discussing one of his books.  The class analysed the various
psychological undertones and symbolic structures in the piece at
considerable length.  Asimov then stood up and said that he was the
author, and actually had had none of those intentions or ideas for
the tale, but had just been interested in writing an enjoyable story
that hung together reasonably well.  The response was more or less,

  You're just the author.  What do you know?

> So I'd argue in a lot of cases, the admins/creators are _not_
> representative of their players.

It certainly is not a direct mapping.  Consider the recent EQ player
population survey, and then consider that in light of the
advertising done for such games touting fantasy when that is
actually a tiny level of interest in the player population.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu