[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sat Feb 17 23:42:30 CET 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 19:11:20 +0000 (GMT)
> the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, it's not realistic to have re-popping mobs. Of course,
> > dragons and magic are also not realistic, and neither is eating
> > and never having to use the bathroom.
>
> "Not realistic" is dismissive and ignores what the model and purpose
> the environment actually has.

It's not dismissive at all. It was mainly intended to illustrate that
hardly anyone is going for realism, regardless of what they
claim. Internal consistency with some passing simulation aspects of
physical reality tends to be more what people are aiming for.

> *doesn't* occur in a given world is fairly easy.  Dragons, magic,
> fairy dust, angels, Cthulhu, reincarnation and pshycic phenomena can
> also be wrapped in both self and externally consistant frameworks,
> even for a hard science simulation model which looks to build
> something which doesn't violate current scientific knowledge.

I'd certainly be curious to know how dragons don't violate current
scientific knowledge. Likewise with, say, reincarnation.

--matt