[MUD-Dev] Real Life Consequences

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Feb 18 16:58:30 CET 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:26:27 +0000 (GMT)
the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Feb 2001, J C Lawrence wrote:

> Yes. You'd never get away with the fines.

This depends on your definition of "get away with", and whether your
interest is in social engineering or collection.  Rename the fines
"bonds", have their credit card pre-qualled for that charge, levy it
upon infraction, and just don't bother contesting or dealing with
those who refute them (of course you don't *say* that) and instead
just kick them from the game ("withdraw the privilege of being able
to play").

  I've dealt with and am a paid member of several groups that
  operate in precisely this way (tho they tend to phrase it as a
  "membership application fee which is returnable upon surrender of
  a 'membership in good standing'", or similar).  It works
  moderately well that I've observed.

Its a question of branding and perception.  The goal is not as a
money earner (the overheads and fees will likely eat any profits and
more, let alone the percentage of the playerbase scared off), but to
help mold and modify behaviour.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu