[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Feb 18 16:46:10 CET 2001

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 14:51:40 -0500
Jon Lambert <tychomud at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Now the cynic in me looks at it in a different way.  People shout
> there is no "mud community" when they want the generic "it" to do
> something and can't find anybody interested in doing that
> something.  Or when someone is doing something they don't like.

The test of community of,

  "Do I feel myself a part of..."

is presumptively doomed, even ignoring the problems of 100%
coverage.  Arguably the majority of "communities" consist of
individuals who are either unaware that they are members, or would
vehemently deny it if ever asked.

  If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, and looks like a
  duck, it is probably a...

The existance or fact of a community is irrelevant in regard to any
individual's view, consideration, or though regarding that community
or its existance.  It just doesn't matter.  What is actually
interesting and is actually useful, is that there is a thing, some
sort of THINGq which has some number of people in it or associated
with it (it doesn't matter), and that THING behaves in a manner
suggestive of a community.

Past a certain level of approximation a duck is equal to a goose is
equal to a swan.  The intneral differences don't matter, especially
when you start arguing as to exactly what sub-species of duck it is
(or is not).

> I think some people only define "community" if there's some uber
> centralized proactive entity directing it.

You are a mamber of that community because I say you are and I don't
care what you have to say about that, so just shut the heck up and
be good boy now, ya' hear!

> It's probably best left undefined, lest somebody come along and
> define it in ways we wouldn't like. ;-)

Yup.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu