[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Sun Feb 18 20:29:12 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 10:00 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

> Recent discussion from the thread on Semi-graphical MUDs has
> inspired me to begin developing a new MUD standard.  My basic idea
> calls for using HTML like tags to tell the client to divide the
> messages from the server into seperate windows, allowing a map to be
> displayed and a seperate stat window to be displayed.  After some
> consideration I have come up with the following concept.  Would
> anyone like to comment on it?  Would anyone be willing to help me
> develop it?

> The types of messages from the server can be divided into 3 types of
> messages.  The first is scrolling text.  This is like the standard
> MUD output, where looks much like a scrolling document.  The second
> type is a coordinate screen.  This would be used for a map or
> something similar.  Where you overwrite the text starting at a given
> set of (x,y) coordinates.  The final type is the static labeled
> screen.  This would be used for stuff like statistics, where the
> label remains the same but the value changes.

> Can anyone think of any other kinds of information that the server
> might want to utilize?

Files to play on the client side:

        - sounds [many clients have sound triggers anyways]

        - pictures to pop up [possibly in the GUI of the client, or
        allow the client to pop em up in other windows, or ignore
        them]

Now it wouldn't actually send sound or picture files, just names for
the associated files, looking in specific directory [trees?]. Then the
files could be downloaded from the server separately, or
players/client makers could come up with their own sets, allowing for
even more customization [why not hear yourself yelling Ow! when you
get hit, instead of a *thud*. ;)]

    rayzam