[MUD-Dev] enforced roleplaying

Mark Watson markw at antares.demon.co.uk
Sun Feb 18 20:40:23 CET 2001

On 17 Feb 2001 02:40:05 +0000, the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> Can anyone describe in some level of detail the methods by which an
> rp-intensive mud of at least some size (like Threshold, or
> Armaggedon if it peaks over 100 players) enforces roleplay? Also, is
> total roleplay enforced, or are there exceptions? I'm quite
> interested in how it is done without the players hating you for
> being a "nazi admin."

Hmmm. I've played Threshold a little. Real enforcement is mainly
through peer-group pressure, as far as I can see (though it works
reasonably well). One interesting factor, which kind of fascinates me
given the situation, is that the admin has a tendency to argue OOC
(bad language, name-calling, etc) even on the main in-character
boards.

One other thing, you can only progress through certain level barriers
by updating your in-role biography (ie update it at level 6, 12,
etc.).  Even to get onto the system you have to apply with a name for
approval and also an indication of the kind of characters you intend
to play.  When you get there you're meant to read a whole bunch of
helpfiles on Threshold policy, and go through the entire contents of
several boards.

I didn't play it for long enough to learn alot more; at the lower
level I was at it felt like a Diku (it's actually an LPC base) but it
may improve at higher ones. On the good side the magic system was/is
different from a Diku. On the down side, the starting city is a fairly
basic and unconvincing grid (which for some reason was enough to put
me off. It also seems to be the case that equipment resets unless left
in certain places, maybe this was also a newbie thing.

Existing players seem committed to it and the ones I met stayed in
role.  Probably the key thing when you reach a certain point is
policing the exceptions rather than the general case.