[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Sun Feb 18 22:12:04 CET 2001

From: "Adam Casbarian" <adamcas at concentric.net>

> If I was going to do a semigraphical mud, I'd want real graphics.
> Nothing to compare with real graphic muds, but a library of pictures
> you may be able to download ahead of time and then the tags that are
> output reference them.
>
> Examples of graphics:
>
> Small graphics showing a terrain type. (picture of a meadow, a city, a
> forest)
>
> Graphics based on some optional flag given to mobiles to show a
> picture.  (The picture would show up during combat and/or upon
> entering the room and seeing it.)
>
> Graphics based on some optional room flag or based on exits.
>
> The pictures wouldn't have to be great, but they'd be hopefully worth
> looking at.  Remember Bard's Tale?  Instead of a group table
> dominating the game's screen, imagine a mud's scrolling text.  Cheesy
> animated gif graphics of wargs glaring at you while you fight would be
> hillariously entertaining.

    The key is this isn't required.  The client could add a graphics
    package which would substitute.  All the server sends would be a
    map like

  "wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
   w       w                          w
   w       w             wwwwww
   w       w             w          w
   ww    www        wwwwww
   w           w          w          w"

the client could recognize a w as a wall and the space as a floor.  It
would then substitute the graphics.  But this isn't necessary.