[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

katroutt at home.com katroutt at home.com
Sun Feb 18 22:15:47 CET 2001

Hmm,

> My basic idea calls for using HTML like tags to tell
> the client to divide the messages from the server
> into seperate windows, allowing a map to be displayed
> and a seperate stat window to be displayed.

Sounds like a great idea, but maybe something like this:

  A server that outputs data in a known easily parsible stream (XML
  perhaps?)  and a definition of the syntax of the output (IDL
  perhaps?).

  A client that reads that interface definition and creates a parsing
  / display strategy based on it. (Perhaps the data definition that
  the client reads should be separate from the display
  strategy?. Perhaps not, I can imagine that certain data would be
  marked as "updateable" so you could update some subsection of the
  data w/o invalidating all of it. That kind of thing could control
  displays of a character's condition for instance, where changes are
  likely to invalidate only a small subsection of the data.)

I think the interesting part would be a "generic" client structure
that'd let clients conform to an initialization strategy which could
even be sent from the server during a negotiation and startup
phase. So you'd start a client which would connect to the server,
parse the initialization data returned, set up a windowing/display
strategy, and then begin parsing the incoming data according to the
initialization information.

Might take up some part of that kind of development after I lick this
database stuff actually. Hope some of that was interesting.

-dave