[MUD-Dev] Moving away from the level based system

msew msew at ev1.net
Mon Feb 19 04:02:25 CET 2001

At 21:01 12/11/2000 -0800, John Buehler wrote:

> There are other elements to what I'd like to see, including having
> character skill adapt to the difficulty of what they are doing.  So
> if you are fighting against novices, your skill will go no farther
> than novice.  If you are fighting against masters, you will
> eventually emerge a master.  Doing things this way means that if the
> game designer puts in a challenge at a given level, the player
> characters will eventually accomplish it.  The only roof on skill is
> the limit of the greatest challenge.

> Having said THAT, skills should go up asymptotically to some upper
> limit.  You can always advance your skill, but the increments get
> smaller and smaller.

Agree and disagree.  Taking EQ as an example, you are a lvl 60
warrior.  Your skills are not maxed.  You go and con the ghoul lord in
lguk.  He is green.  He can kick your ass and then some.  You should
have a chance to gain some skills and exp from him, if you are
fighting him.

Saying that a master fencer is not going to learn anything EVER from a
newbie fencer is not a correct statement at all.  Certainly the
chances are lower but he should still get something out of training
against the newbie.  Or killing that lvl 45 mob.

msew