[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Ryan Rhodes ryanshaerhodes at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 19:03:56 CET 2001

> Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt wrote:
>
> > Can anyone think of any other kinds of information that the server
> > might want to utilize?
>
> You might consider doing more advanced interfaces over the protocol.
> Tags might set up forms, buttons, menus and other GUIs that can be
> used for actions such as bulletin boards, shops, account managing etc.
>
> If you make it general enough you would have a thin client that simply
> sets up the GUI on prompt from the MUD, making upgrades less of a
> problem.

So lets suppose you wanted to handle all your account management and
e-commerce strictly through the web.  Players go to the web site to
log in.  They are presented with a list of the characters under the
account.  They can enter the game or create a new character, both of
which launch the client.  This is a simplified description of how I
would like for it to work, but let me ask you this:

Reguardless of weather you are trying to do it all from the client or
using a combination of the client and the web, when you model the
interface for these features on the server side do you combine them
all into one "Connection" abstraction?  It seems to me that certain
things like 'e commerce' or account management don't really need to
interact with the game at all, only the database.  It seems like
having separate 'server' entities to handle the various game services
is more logical, but I'm posting because I don't really know????

Ryan