[MUD-Dev] enforced roleplaying

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Mon Feb 19 20:24:54 CET 2001

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Klyde Beattie wrote:

> > From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>
> > To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
> > Subject: [MUD-Dev] enforced roleplaying
> > Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:40:05 +0000 (GMT)
>
> > Can anyone describe in some level of detail the methods by which an
> > rp-intensive mud of at least some size (like Threshold, or
> > Armaggedon if it peaks over 100 players) enforces roleplay? Also, is
> > total roleplay enforced, or are there exceptions? I'm quite
> > interested in how it is done without the players hating you for
> > being a "nazi admin."
>
> The most roleplay intensive mud i know of is Faerun mud. It only has
> 30 players on average, but there is an answer here. All of the
> players prefer RP to Hack&Slash. They inforce roleplay and the
> people who think they are "nazi admin" leave. There is no secret
> realy to how it's done. They use an introduction system so you have
> to learn peoples names. They ask that you write a character history
> and for each level you discribe what your character did to earn that
> level. I personaly don't enjoy some of these "features" but they
> attract role players. Enforcing rp on people who don't want to isn't
> going to work.

Right. I'm mainly interested in seeing how MUDs with a larger user
base manage it. I find it's pretty easy for one person to enforce
almost anything when you're the size of Faerun, but after you start
hitting 100 players online or so, it starts becoming considerably more
difficult. I can't even imagine trying to enforce RP on Everquest.

--matt