[MUD-Dev] Object Models

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Tue Feb 20 17:31:10 CET 2001

John Buehler wrote:

> Where I'm going with this is that only systems that show significant
> promise for use for a long time will be worthy of tools.  Such
> systems are either in games that have significant longevity, or they
> have a life of their own by being reused across game boundaries.
> When you have a system like that, it can make sense to invest in
> tools for it.

Er, maybe I'm off the mark, but doesn't that first stipulation (having
significant longevity) pretty much apply to most games people on this
list would care to make?  Does anybody write a multiplayer game that
they intend for people to play for only, say, the next 2 months, as
might be the case with a strictly single player game?  :)

Of course, I'm speaking of intent here, not reality.  Also keep in
mind that I'm coming from the graphical side of things, the side where
you really don't get anywhere without tools, where even if you don't
plan to have 'significant longevity', tools are still pretty much a
prerequisite for doing anything.  (though the sophistication level can
vary greatly)