[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

Eli Stevens wickedgrey at wickedgrey.com
Tue Feb 20 17:44:54 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2001 11:55 PM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

> Backstory has the nasty characteristic of setting expectations
> rather high as well.  Flowing prose and expansive imagery suggests
> to players that this is how the game world will be.  But only
> uninterrupted prose can match that expectation, and a game, whether
> textual or graphical, cannot do the job.  Let the player experiences
> set player expectations for the evolving plot line.  Particularly if
> you think that you might not be able to do everything that you hoped
> you could when you started out.

As a counterpoint I offer:

  http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/1999Q1/msg00661.php

Granted, we need more (a lot more) to really be able to say that the
system can produce prose (rather than repeat it, re-stitching it as
necassary).  But, what is there _is_ decent reading.

> > Travis Casey:
> > I agree with this part.  :-)
>
> Don't *do* that.  I can't deal with public agreement.

Heh heh.  See above.  ;)

Eli