[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Tue Feb 20 18:33:16 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Jeff Freeman wrote:

> From: "Madrona Tree" <madronatree at hotmail.com>
> > From: "msew" <msew at ev1.net>
>
> >> Further, it makes zero sense for someone not to see items while
> >> others can based on whom they talked to.  Now while maybe this
> >> works for the uber divine quests where people are looking for holy
> >> relics and what not, but making some people see fire beetle eyes
> >> and others not is pretty sketchy.
>
> I just want to declare again how *insane* I think it is to have a
> quest for Thor's Hammer that any number of people can complete.
>
> "I have Thor's hammer!"
> "Me too!  I killed him last week!"
> "Ooh, will you help me kill him so I can have his hammer, too?!"
> Jesus, stop putting single-player quests in multiplayer games,
> already.
>
> (Not that you do that, matt, since I get the impression Archea isn't
> all about that anyway, but Ms. Tree is posting from an EQ
> perspective...).

Achaea isn't about that, and we don't actually have any quests that
result in an item that is implied to be singular unless the item is
temporary. For instance, you can go kill the dragon Yudhishthira and
then take his wings afterwards and wear them. They give you powers
that normally cost about $600 to purchase, but they also only last a
few days (as opposed to the purchaseable version (which has a
different name but same function) which lasts forever and cannot be
stolen for more than an hour at a time).

BUT, we have plenty of single player game type quests that are
repeatable and so on. It's no different to me than re-spawning
mobiles. Might not make sense if you're using real-world physics, but
damn it, in MY world, the laws of nature dictate that they make
complete sense *g*. Seriously, neither re-spawning mobs or fed-ex
quests bother me. Obviously more elaborate quests or mob-spawning
systems would be nice, but they are just bonuses to me.

--matt