[MUD-Dev] Teaching ethics in MUDs

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Feb 20 18:54:15 CET 2001

> Tess Lowe writes:

Another eloquent post.

I don't want to reply point for point because we'd be getting into
some discussions about human psychology that I'm fine with speculating
on in private, but not in a public forum.

I was a little surprised at your discussing psychology at the adult
level as it applied to you, when I thought the point of contention was
the impact on children.  The fine-tuning of adult minds is a different
process than that of the child's mind, which is in the process of
defining basic patterns.

> I'm not making any wild claims here, John. I'm still at the stage of
> wondering *if* MUDs can have a positive impact on the ethical
> development of their players.

I'm sure they can, if properly focused.  The focus must be more
carefully managed the more immature the mind is.  As stated elsewhere,
that doesn't necessarily tie into chronological age.

JB