[MUD-Dev] Object Models

John Buehler johnbue at msn.com
Tue Feb 20 18:39:10 CET 2001

> Travis Nixon

> John Buehler wrote:

>> Where I'm going with this is that only systems that show
>> significant promise for use for a long time will be worthy of
>> tools.  Such systems are either in games that have significant
>> longevity, or they have a life of their own by being reused across
>> game boundaries.  When you have a system like that, it can make
>> sense to invest in tools for it.

> Er, maybe I'm off the mark, but doesn't that first stipulation
> (having significant longevity) pretty much apply to most games
> people on this list would care to make?  Does anybody write a
> multiplayer game that they intend for people to play for only, say,
> the next 2 months, as might be the case with a strictly single
> player game?  :)

> Of course, I'm speaking of intent here, not reality.  Also keep in
> mind that I'm coming from the graphical side of things, the side
> where you really don't get anywhere without tools, where even if you
> don't plan to have 'significant longevity', tools are still pretty
> much a prerequisite for doing anything.  (though the sophistication
> level can vary greatly)

I'm really considering the graphical side of things as well.  And
while I'm sure that there are 'tools' out there in one form or
another, they tend to only be good enough to produce the equivalent of
a single-player game for a lot of people.  To me, tools would suggest
more dynamicism in the game world.  The tools that are out there are
used to just get that massively-multiplayer world to exist in the
first place.

JB