[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Tue Feb 20 20:19:14 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> This is what I was shooting for.  The key is I have to make it easy
> and simple while at the same time implementing fancy features.

I have been (and still am) seriously considering embedding Mozilla
NWLayout into a mud client.  I think it'd be interesting if you sent
data to the client in "packets" which were rendered on the screen.
The advantage of using NWLayout is because it's a web browser engine
with full support for HTML 4.0, CSS 1.0, and DOM 1.0 with Netscape
style plugins available.  With all the tools available for writing web
pages available, it'd be a powerful interface.

The trick would be to relay data back and forth and to have a
scroll-back limit.  I think you'd have to give the core engine the
ability to run a script on receiving a packet, or throw an event... if
the event isn't handled, then just append it at the end.  You'd
probably want to place data inside of an element so that it could be
handled easily.

Anyway, just my 2 cents...

-- Kwon Ekstrom

(PS, for those of you who don't know, NWLayout is what Netscape refers
to as the "gecko" engine, Mozilla calls it NWLayout, Gecko being a
marketting term from Netscape)