[MUD-Dev] Persistent Worlds

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Tue Feb 20 21:25:29 CET 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> Matt Mihaly writes:

>> I also have to say that I think your argument not to have a
>> backstory because it sets expectations too high is baffling. So we
>> shouldn't attempt to provide anything of quality because it might
>> set players expectations too high? We should intentionally do
>> second-rate work?

> Quite the reverse.  You should do first rate work.  Both on the
> backstory and on the game itself.  From what I've seen, backstories
> usually outpace the game.  Thus my problem with them.  Not unlike
> how marketing usually outpaces the product.

But didn't you claim that it's impossible for a graphical or text mud
to provide the quality of a continuous-text backstory? And then didn't
you say that you wanted to reject backstories because they set up
unrealistic expectations for the rest of the game? My apologies if I
misunderstood you or attributed someone else's ideas to you.

I think backstories generally outpace the game because backstories are
an art that's been around for thousands of years while the game itself
is an art that's been around for no more than 30 or so.

--matt