[MUD-Dev] Defining a community

Mark Watson markw at antares.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 01:29:38 CET 2001

On 18 Feb 2001 23:57:51 +0000, Klyde Beattie wrote:
> From: J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu>
> To: mud-dev at kanga.nu
> Re: [MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds
> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 23:25:23 -0800
>
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:44:27 +0000 (GMT)
> the logos <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't buy that. A community is more than just the viral spread of
> > information. Me going to Pakistan and talking about how we live in
> > Mill Valley does not make anyone I've talked to a part of the
> > community of Mill Valley (assuming there is one).
>
> To quote Phil Greenspun (MIT)

<snip>

> Ironicly, Phil's company (ArsDigita) has developed a Community System

> which would be a great tool for building A community web page if
> anyone other than me is interested. I'm just getting familiar with
> it these last few months.

I think he prefers to be called Philip (see the book), and I believe
he's recently left ArsDigita. The book is excellent, by the way, for
people trying to understand dynamic website building (even if you
don't buy into the technologies he favours, specifically AOLserver and
Tcl).  I'm not a particular fan of their community software though
(ACS).

If you want a better (my opinion) book on the actual subject of web
communities, try "Community Building on the
Web : Secret Strategies for Successful Online Communities" by Amy Jo Kim

  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201874849/o/qid=982718265/sr=8-3/ref=aps_sr_b_1_3/104-0517700-6915955

which as it happens includes numerous references to Ultima Online.  by
Amy Jo Kim Strategies for Successful Online Communities

Mark