[MUD-Dev] (no subject)

msew msew at ev1.net
Thu Feb 22 02:23:22 CET 2001

At 00:10 02/22/2001 -0800, you wrote:

> Note that if you and I fight because we are in warring groups, you
> cannot turn off the PvP flags without leaving the organization that
> you're in.  You can turn off your own, but you are subject to
> whatever organization you belong to.  If you decide to attack me and
> then bail out of the organization, you have to get back into the
> organization in order to attack me using the Blue/Green rules of
> engagement.  If word gets out that you're clowning around with the
> PvP system for grief purposes, the Blues ideally won't let you back
> in.

again any time the users can set flags themselves they are going to
exploit.

in the above.  I have a subset drop out of my guild.  (invulnerable to
the Greens) and then at the right time I invite them back into the
guild such that (can attack greens with impunity).  Any situation that
can be come up with to stop the exploiters can be countered.  And the
exploiters "win" when they cause havoc in other's plans because they
were given the power to turn things on/off by their OWN actions.

This system MAY work where everyone playing the game are all Good in
nature and play by the "spirit of the rules", but sadly the world is
not all good in nature and the "evil" / grief / trouble causing people
will come and wreck havoc on this system.

Even if the Blues and Greens decide to not invite that grief player
back he has already done his dead of destruction.  That grief player
is going to be the guy that drops out of the guild or turns on/off
some flag such that he is invulnerable and steals the crown of green
jade that the Greens and Blues were "nicely" fighting over.  This
grief player has ruined the entire event for both sides! :( And oddly
enough this player though it would "funny" to do this after 2 months
of fighting and questing and warring of Green vs Blue.  He just made
the climax of those 2 months turn to utter crap.

And even if is not some mega event, there are tons and tons and tons
of people that are wanting and looking for opportunities to ruin
other's fun.  Bar fights where I join in and kill you both.  Or I,
unfairly, help one of the people.  Doesn't matter the situation as
soon as you give ability to turn self invul on / off it WILL be
exploited.  Just look at UO with the blue healers and they don't even
get a switch they can turn on or off they have to actively plan and
slowly turn themselves into a specific role (and people do this big
time).

I just don't see it working in an environment with the grief players
actively looking to cause havoc and ruin the fun for others.  And
assuming one can make such an environment is going to cause massive
harm to that environment.

msew