[MUD-Dev] Teaching ethics in MUDs (was Re: "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG")

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Thu Feb 22 21:52:52 CET 2001

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Thu 22 Feb, Adam Casbarian wrote:

> Let me pose this question:

>   If a girl gives her real life address to some guy she fell in love
>   with, they meet and she gets raped, is the mud liable to some
>   degree?  Could that mud be sued?

I am tempted to say that in the USA and in France yes. Realistically
however the answer should be no (though that would not prevent any-
body from attempting). The mud was not involved in the crime at all,
other than being the medium through which the message was passed. It
is equally impossible to sue the phone company had she passed her a-
dress through that medium, or the contractor who built the house where
she was raped.

Strange question really.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...