[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Sat Feb 24 20:11:56 CET 2001

From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at verant.com>

> "PD might enhance the "game" portion of UO, but it would definitely
> be at the expense of the "world" aspect.

Funny, I would have thought the exact opposite would be the case.

Question is what do the customers really want more of, game or world?

> If you invest any time in building a character, whether it's raising
> skills or crafting a unique RP persona, you're going to be reluctant
> to put that character at any significant risk of deletion.

This presupposes that the game system in question would tie all of
your assets to your character, so that when the character goes, so
does all of your "advancement".  It also presupposes that playing at
low level is repetitive, and/or sucks (not a surprising assumption
given the current MMORPGs).

> What would result would be an influx of throwaway characters, with
> no significant investment from the player, as individual as the
> marines of Doom. Add in a new breed of griefer, with the fantastic
> emotional payoff of getting somebody permanently dead, and watch the
> game self-destruct."

I think a lot of people, when someone brings up the topic of
"Permanent death", try to place it in whatever game they are currently
playing.  UO or EQ, say - where it would be an unqualified disaster.
Heck, PvP (without permadeath) in EQ is a disaster, griefers aside.