[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

msew msew at ev1.net
Sat Feb 24 22:19:48 CET 2001

At 00:06 02/24/2001 -0800, Tamzen Cannoy wrote:

> Frankly more and more I think it is a societal problem in that
> people don't learn how to behave appropriately around other people.

and thusly, we, as game designers, might want to try and "fix" this,
move towards a better vision of what society should be.

Again, kids / people / society will be spending many days of their
lives in these games.  (all of my friends in EQ have 100+ days easily
spent in it)

As simple as an axiom of:  actions you take have REAL consequences.

Certainly, people have a limited form of that now in terms of faction
systems and being banned from towns.  But, in all of those systems
there are clear alternatives/other paths to take to avoid the faction
you just upset.