[MUD-Dev] "Doing a dungeon" (was: Permadeath or Not?)

Brian 'Psychochild' Green brian at psychochild.org
Sat Feb 24 23:04:49 CET 2001

John Buehler wrote:

> Consider that if the developers are far more qualified and
> insightful and have put far more work into getting a complex
> behavior nailed down, that players will have far less hope of
> reverse engineering it.

The abilities of a handful of really smart people hold no candle to
the force offered by a throng of average people.  This is a universal
truth in online games.

Players will find a way to reverse engineer any system you come up
with if it's important enough to them.  Larger games tend to have more
people poking at the systems, and therefore have their systems reverse
engineered more.

Again, where there's a will, there's a way.

--
"And I now wait / to shake the hand of fate...."  -"Defender", Manowar
     Brian Green, brian at psychochild.org  aka  Psychochild
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'    holders for code that works.'"
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)         - Andrew Kirmse, Meridian 59 creator