[MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sun Feb 25 21:32:06 CET 2001

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Chris Lloyd wrote:

> If you want a world with resetting quests that never run out, you
> can still take steps to stop people publicising your world
> secrets. One way, that I think was already suggested on this boars
> some time ago, was to make the experience you get from a quest
> inversely proportional to the number of people who do it each
> day. So if a quest gives you 1000xp if you are the only person who
> does it each day, 500xp if two people do it, 250xp if 4 people do
> it, etc. This way the big quests are very sought after and guarded,
> whereas the smaller ones are more frequently given out due to their
> already low value.

This will not work. It only takes one person to blab. I, for instance,
would take much more joy in telling everyone how to do the quest than
I would in keeping it to myself. If the reward is SO great that I just
must have it all to myself (high unlikely), then eventually someone
will just pay me real money to know how to do it, and the knowledge
shall be theirs. It is pointless trying to engineer
knowledge-supression. Information wants to be free!

--matt