[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sun Feb 25 21:36:30 CET 2001

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Richard A. Bartle wrote:

> On 24th February, 2001, Matt wrote:

>> Remember though that risk doesn't have to just be simulated physical
>> risk.  There's the risk of losing respect, etc, that is just as
>> important in a leadership position.

> Of course, although in a game that's "all about" combat it would
> make sense to have physical risk be involved.

> Political risk, while not necessarily having tangible effects on a
> character, carries its own dangers. In particular, it's open to
> abuse by organised PK types, who although they can't kill you
> physically can certainly do so politically. Just something to be
> aware of (I'm sure you are already!).

I've noticed almost no cross-pollination between the great PKers and
the great politicians in Achaea. There's some of course, but the
people who run the top political organizations tend not to be the best
combatants and vice versa.

My theory is that this stems largely from a difference in
skillsets. The combatants generally are willing to spend a _lot_ of
time getting good at combat (remember, our combat system isn't really
based on what items you have or what level you are. Some of that has
an effect, but it's mainly down to skill) whereas the politicians
aren't. Likewise, the combatants do not generally have the patience to
be politicians. It involves too much helping other people for their
tastes I've found.

--matt