[MUD-Dev] "Doing a dungeon" (was: Permadeath or Not?)

Koster Koster
Tue Feb 27 07:51:18 CET 2001

Ben Hanson, formerly of Simutronics and Origin, told me a story about
working on the combat system for DragonRealms. He knew that players
reverse-engineered everything, and he was into interesting math, so he
decided to use chaos theory to build the DR combat system. He used
every variable he could think of--slope of the terrain, prevailing
winds, reflectivity of the weapon causing distraction, whatever. Threw
it all into an extraordinarily complex formula to try to get
unpredictable results.

In the end, though, he had to have a single constant in there
somewhere. He knew players would assume it would be a power of two or
a multiple of five, so he intentionally picked a number like 253.

A few months later, he finds a spoiler site that purports to explain
how to win any fight in DragonRealms. There, laid out completely, is
his entire system--slope, wind, reflectivity, everything. And it all
came down to one number. Said the author of the webpage, "Well, based
on programmer proclivities, I'd guess that the number is either 250 or
256, since they will always think in powers of two or multiples of
five--but my math shows that it's 253. So take that with a grain of
salt."

-Raph