[MUD-Dev] Quests + No Spoils (was: Interesting EQ rant)

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Tue Feb 27 20:19:34 CET 2001

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Corey Crawford wrote:

> [...]

Funny how all these games that don't mind that your character comes
into it apparently knowing about Simpsons and gangsta rap get all
roleplay intensive when it comes to this issue.

In any case, my point is and has been all along that in a MUD quests
that try to make your character 'learn' info that he can get just by
talking to other characters is ridiculous. It serves no roleplay
purpose and is just patently absurd.

> So unless every single quest done by a character is unique to that
> character alone, I honestly don't see a way to prevent some type of
> spoilage. (If you see otherwise, please do share!) Of course, it's
> relatively easy to create a unique quest for a character, but the
> depth and creativity of the quest is totally limited to how well the
> quest generator can "think".

Why is it spoilage? It isn't spoiling the player's experience. If he
really wanted to "do" the quest in the way it was designed, he'd do
it. It sounds to me like generally it's just spoiling some kind of
pleasure the designer gets from watching or imagining the mortals
jumping through the hoops he's set up.

--matt