[MUD-Dev] A new MUD-standard

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Wed Feb 28 01:22:51 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> however, is that some people (including me) feel that graphics take
> away from the imagination aspect of a text based MUD.  What I was

I agree, graphics will take alot away from a text based game, which is
why I like css, it's simply defining colors, boxes, and font-sizes and
decoration.  Sure, you can add graphics, but I would probably limit
that to a greeting screen, and use fairly small graphics.

> thinking is that if you define a standard for parsing inbound
> messages, for example the server tells the client that it should
> have four windows, a list, a scrolling box, a coordinate display
> (for maps) and a stat box, then sends messages to these you would
> have a very useful system.  the client of course could rearrange
> this, the server

What I am thinking of is using xml as the data source, pretty much
send a header pointing to a default web-site, the client loads that,
frames, etc...  additional data is sent using xml and parsed using
xsl, cache the xsl sheets, before long you're just sending data.  You
separate a presentation layer, so it's easier to make minor changes.
The header should contain information about options like compression.

> simply sends a reccomendation.  I think that the only thing that
> would be desirable is to have sounds.  You could use a sound package
> and just tell the client <play_sound name = "hit" volume = "LOUD">.

You could embed sounds in the html, that would take a little while to
download unless it was a midi.

-- Kwon Ekstrom