[MUD-Dev] Skill System

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Thu Jan 25 15:44:40 CET 2001

From: "Batir" <batir at frontiernet.net>
> From: Ben Chambers <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

>> What's wrong with know it all players?  Elves normally live to be
>> 600 years old, in those 600 years, it is more than likely that it
>> would be possible to become a know it all, the only thing that may
>> be true, however is that they aren't as proficient in certain areas
>> as they could be, but not because of the fact that they didn't have
>> the chance, but because they didn't do the things required to
>> advance skills beyond a point.  For example having someone teach
>> you the next 'level' of a skill, increasing your proficiency.

> You've met a 600 year old elf ;-p ?

Elves by definition live to 600, look it up in any standard fantasy
rulebook or book

> I see two problems with know it all players (err, charactors,
> actually).  First is the disparity between new chars and old ones.
> But this could be said of any skill system that I've seen, limnited
> as my experience is.

So what, there shouldn't be ANY reason to play?  People play to obtain
items and to obtain levels.  Most muds wipe items occasionally so then
levels is the only thing that a really stands out about a character.
If i play 1000 hours, I want something to say for it, besides the eq
that someone with 999 hours also has.

> The second is interactivity.  I play UO, and between 2 charactors,
> can make every craftable item (there only being a couple thousand of
> them).  My warrior types are of the highest level as well, in
> several differant fields.  It's not very often that I *need* anyone.
> I can kill most anything, and can make all my own supplies.  What
> little interaction I do with other players, with the exception of a
> few friends, is bussiness (selling my wares), and that is only
> because I choose too, not because I need to.  I do not think this is
> a good thing.

But it is real.  The stronger and smarter people are more independent,
and generally less likely to be social.