[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Bryce Harrington bryce at neptune.net
Tue Jul 3 22:51:26 CEST 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Jeremy Noetzelman wrote:

> I've tossed the idea around a bit myself...

> If you do this to release to the general public under some form of
> free license, you get the same 'problem' you have with all the
> stock MU* out there today.  Aside from that, putting together
> something like this in your spare time to give away is a bit
> daunting.

This is the key reason why the WorldForge people are doing what
they're doing - because by conjoining efforts they can achieve the
larger aims within the limits of spare time work.  So you could
focus your energies on one particular module you care a lot about,
or else do general peer review on the whole code and submit
suggestions for improvement across the board, or just focus on
turning the libs into a distributable, saleable product ala RedHat.
(Btw, if you happen to be in Europe, some of the developers will
have a booth at LinuxTag and will be demo'ing one of their games.
I'm in Oregon and can't go.  8-/ ) There's a pretty solid set of
client-side as well as server-side 3D libs, though development is
ongoing and they're not feature complete enough for making
commercial-style games yet.  Many libs are LGPL'd; others are GPL'd
but the authors might LGPL them if you asked nicely.  ;-)

Anyway, one of the reasons one might prefer relying on an (active)
open source project like WorldForge over some proprietary offering
is that companies have had a tendancy to go belly up (especially
lately) and tend to take their code (or at least the developers)
with them.  With an open source project, if nothing else, if you
need the library, you can use it and maintain it yourself.