[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Brian Hook bwh at wksoftware.com
Wed Jul 4 00:11:11 CEST 2001

It sounds like NWN provides much of what I was proposing.  I didn't
realize that it had such a comprehensive toolset, portability, and
the portal linking.  If they pull it off, it should be amazing -
akin to when the first Quake servers started going live
persistently.

Also, it looks like from their FAQ that you can store data on the
client; on the server; or on Neverwinter.net.  I'm not sure how long
it's been since that FAQ has been updated though.

Now, if you're a professional MUD developer and want to go
graphical, NWN doesn't provide a comprehensive solution for several
reasons:

  - Bioware won't allow for-profit operation of NWN servers

  - NWN is tied fairly strongly to fantasy, Forgotten Realms, and
  AD&D 3e.  Those looking to do a sci-fi RPG may be out of luck.

  - It is primarily modified through data and scripts instead of
  access to raw source

So a different product aimed at a slightly more commercialized
venture would possibly have a market.  It would be primarily data
driven (to get up and running), but source code, libs, etc. would be
provided for more hardcore modifications.

Architecturally speaking, it would be pretty interesting to design
it in such a way that nearly all system were "pluggable" but without
encumbering the design unnecessarily.

I'm still not convinced there's a real market for such a product,
even though most people I talk to think it's a great idea.  The
issue of cost seems to be the biggest constraint.

Brian Hook