[MUD-Dev] [TECH] String Classes, Memory Management, and Fragmentation

Derek Licciardi derek at elysianonline.com
Mon Jul 9 23:49:33 CEST 2001

I was wondering if someone from the MMORPG dev teams, or from the
large scale MUD dev teams would answer a question for me.  How do
you guys handle Strings in game and the associated heap
fragmentation of dynamically allocated string classes?  Is anyone
using third part Heap managers or replacement libraries?  Are you
using fixed string classes?  Are you sharing strings for common
objects/mobs?

Been pondering multiple ways to solve the issue of Heap management
and the string issue is a thorn in my side.

Derek