[MUD-Dev] Chatting in MMPORPGs

Derek Licciardi kressilac at home.com
Tue Jul 10 00:09:58 CEST 2001

My real frustration with AO so far has been the required use of the
mouse.  It is very difficult to talk to someone when you have to use
the mouse to do things as this takes your hands from the keyboard.
>From the little time I played UO, I thought it suffered the same
problem as everything needed to be clicked.  When I am exploring or
not socializing I do not mind the clicking, but I like to be able to
play and talk between commands.  As far as I can tell EQ does a good
job at that with its key mappings and such.

As for which is better, I guess it is a matter of preference.
Wouldn't it be nice if you could have it either way and set it as an
option while in game?  I know some games have discussed streaming
voice to their players as well.  How does this dynamic change the
way MMORPGs are played? (aside from the I know your a male playing a
female thread) Should it be group only?  Should it be personal only?
Should it be there period? (i.e. does it destroy immersion)

Hate to answer your question with more questions, but I think the
jury is still out on the issue of the best communication system in
graphical MUDs.

Derek