[MUD-Dev] [TECH] String Classes, Memory Management, and Fragmentation

Derek Licciardi kressilac at home.com
Tue Jul 10 22:34:25 CEST 2001

Just a couple of clarifications:

We are using C++ and we have initially chosen the Windows 2K
Advanced Server as a platform of choice.  By release time I am sure
this will be the Windows XP family of products.  The heap manager
that I was referring to in the previous message is SmartHeap SMP

  http://www.codework.com/smartheapsmp/product.html

I have thought about using this heap manager in an effort to reduce
development/debugging time as well as increasing
scalability/performance.  The only reason I wouldn't implement my
own is that I would think we could put our talent to better use
given that we can buy a replacement library such as this one.
Writing a threadsafe, SMP aware heap manager isn't a core design
function that requires inhouse development in my opinion, especially
with a proven one on the market for a reasonable price.

Anyway thanks for all of the feedback.

Derek

ps Before someone points it out to me, I am currently in contact
with Codeworks to determine if Windows 2K compatibility is available
for SmartHeap SMP.