[MUD-Dev] Toward a Craftier Dragon

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Tue Jul 10 23:06:47 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Maximus" <Maximus at Vaultnetwork.com>
> At 11:22 AM 7/10/01 -0400, you wrote:

>> Often in fantasy fiction, dragons are presented as magical
>> creatures that are highly intelligent and conniving.  I've yet to
>> face such a dragon in an MOG.  In order to do so, it seems to me
>> that the dragon would need to be player controlled.  AI is just
>> not capable of the sort of craftiness I'd like to see.  Here is a
>> possible model for player controlled dragons in a typical fantasy
>> MUD.

> Hi Phinehas,

> That is an excellent idea! The only things I see wrong with it are
> game balance issues.

>   1) A lot of people would want to play the dragon, so I guess
>   some kind of limited number would have to made available and
>   fairly given out.

>   2) Enough dragons would have to exist to balance the number of
>   players so they at least had a chance to survive. Imagining a
>   hundred people ganging up to slay it.  >

There's a whole other level to it.

    1) Dragon v Dragon competition.

    2) Dragons cooperating with each other. Players having to band
    together to survive.

    3) Dragon <-> player vassalage type system. Players band with a
    dragon.  They bring the dragon treasure for her horde,
    increasing her power. With that added power, the dragon can get
    the favored players the equipment they desire or help them gain
    the experience they want.  Then different dragons may compete
    over other players.

This PvP interaction is entirely different than the suggested
interaction of players stealing from dragon's hordes. However, I bet
it makes for a possibly more interesting game...

rayzam