[MUD-Dev] Re: Real-world skills

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Jul 23 23:42:20 CEST 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:41:44 -0700 (PDT), luke at rocketship.com wrote:

> why aren't MUDs used more for educational purposes?

[...]

> Seems like most "educational" MUDs I've visited are MUSHes and
> MOOs that try to make a virtual clone of their university or
> something.

You need to interpret "MUD" a little more broadly to find that, I
think.  There are indeed many people who are using MUD-like
facilities as teaching environments -- entire virtual universities,
even. My wife (as of July 4th) bootstrapped herself from a
welfare-bound college dropout into a reasonably successful freelance
graphic designer and web developer entirely through Ziff-Davis
University. (ZDU was also largely responsible for my finally
"getting it" with the whole OOP thing, which had previously been an
odd alien concept to me -- although I would give the majority of the
credit to online instructor Jesse Liberty rather than the ZDU
environment per se.)