[MUD-Dev] Gearing up against GEAR

Sean K sean at hoth.ffwd.cx
Tue Jul 24 13:28:07 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 10:38:06AM +0100,
Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> From: Sean Kelly [mailto:sean at ffwd.cx]

>> Is there a way to get at any other timer that isn't affected by
>> GEAR?  If so, I'd report both.  Drift should be rapidly obvious.

> Fighting it doesn't seem all that hard. If they validated recast
> delay server side (as every other game does) it would be mostly a
> moot point

Exactly.  I had assumed they were doing this.

> , althogh people could run around faster. Tracking peoples run
> speed is probably a little expensive though so one might need to
> only monitor a few peoples at a time, and try to track in on
> offenders.

I don't know.  One of a player's attributes is run skill.  Speed
should be a server-side computation that's done client-side as well.
Then the client could sync to where they really are when they
recieve periodic information from the server.  Much like movement is
done in FPS games.  The only thing the client would send to the
server would be direction changes and run/walk/stop commands.  I'd
be surprised if this wasn't how it worked already, as people can
lose connection while in autorun mode and end up on the other side
of the continent when they log back in.

Sean