[MUD-Dev] Gearing up against GEAR

Sean K sean at hoth.ffwd.cx
Tue Jul 24 13:34:12 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 11:38:19AM +0200, Vincent Archer wrote:
> According to Sean Kelly:

>> For spellcasting, there might be a slight advantage is using
>> GEAR.  As while spells take a fixed amount of time on the server,
>> they are one-off events.  So in times of high lag it might pay to
>> push through a couple spellcasting packets all at once.

> Given that GEAR is making things hell on Darktide, where offensive
> magic and client-repeated archery are the main offensive methods,
> one can see the impact of it. :(

Unfortunately, combat in AC is pretty much completely based on
buffs/debuffs.  It was one of the things that first turned me off to
the game.  Though for a while it was fun to make an archmage that
could outshoot and archer and outfight a figher :)

>> Is there a way to get at any other timer that isn't affected by
>> GEAR?  If so, I'd report both.  Drift should be rapidly obvious.

> There aren't many (stable timers, that is). I've checked speedhack
> on my machine, to see what other symptoms it could have, and my
> standard clock was speeded up by the same ratio. I suspect it acts
> on the most basic timer that is used to derive all other timers in
> Windows.

Hrm... and since it's possible to overclock pretty much every
hardware clock in the system, there isn't much left to sync to.  I
suppose the most reliable clock might be the PCI clock as generally
it isn't all that overclockable before devices start acting strange.
Perhaps 66->84.  Still not a perfect solution in any case.

Sean