[MUD-Dev] off-line pk

Koster Koster
Wed Jun 6 15:15:33 CEST 2001

Well, yes. Groups with money tend to get more lobbying power, and
publishers definitely have more money than developers.

> It's more accurate to say the International Game Developers
> Association (www.igda.org) is the organization that represents
> developers.  There is some overlap in areas of interest, but the
> IGDA is definitely much more focused on topics that are relevant
> to developers.  It also has a board of directors consisting of
> developers; while I didn't see a list, it seems pretty likely that
> the members' representatives to IDSA are corporate types.
> However, the IGDA doesn't yet have the funding or the visibility
> of the IDSA, the main reason probably being that not enough
> developers join.

I also don't think the IGDA does any lobbying; it's mostly a
professional organization for developers themselves, trying to do
things like get more women into the industry, improve ties with
academia, give awards for quality work, etc etc.

There's some degree of tension between the IGDA and the AIAS
(Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences), which is seen by some as
"owned by the publishers" and which also gives awards.

-Raph