The Permadeath of PvP (was RE: Hiding the Numbers (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

Adam Martin amsm2 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 11:44:16 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Sheldon" <linearno at gte.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 2:18 PM
Subject: The Permadeath of PvP (was RE: Hiding the Numbers (was Re:
[MUD-Dev] Maintaining fiction.)

> The answer to the low PvP seems to be "They did it wrong.  We'll
> do it right."  I'd argue that no more than the same 20% or lower
> -want- somebody to do it right.  The others simply don't want PvP.

..and if they're making a mistake, then you just made the same
mistake too.  First rule of UI design (and perhaps it ought to be
first one in game design?) - don't evaluate anything subjectively,
unless you have evidence to guide you. I'm not saying you can't (in
this instance) back up what you are saying - just that such
statements are pretty useless to the rest of us without at least
some kind of justification.

Adam M