[MUD-Dev] Viewpoint and motion sickness was:Neverwinter Nights

rayzam rayzam at home.com
Fri Jun 8 19:30:00 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tamzen Cannoy" <tamzen at worldbenders.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 6:16 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Viewpoint and motion sickness was:Neverwinter Nights

> Something I'm not seeing discussed in this 1st person vs. 3rd
> person view for playing games, is the large number of people made
> ill with motion sickness by 1st person. I'm one. I can't play
> anything that is 1st person. I can't even play the new Myst:Exile
> game. Literally 5 minutes of playing it and I am so nauseous and
> sick I have to lie down for hours. for some reason this appear to
> affect more women than men.

> I even have some trouble with some 3rd person games.

> This is a problem y'all are going to have to tackle eventually.  --

Luckily, there's a new solution coming out. A headset that sends
electrical signals from behind your ears, which affects your sense
of balance. One reason is to prevent motion sickness or
vertigo. Also it's intended for some VR aspects.

But if you're a person who gets motion sick from the movement, it'd
be possible to have some API that counters that effect in you :)

    rayzam