[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Fri Jun 15 09:48:19 CEST 2001

According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com:

> I just didn't meet people, you'd see someone else outside the same
> cave as you trying to zone in, but when you both succeeded, you
> were in different caves completing your own quests. Sure you might
> have stood their bitching about the zoning not working too well at
> the moment, but it was just in passing.

That's probably the most damning feature of AO for me. The fact that
we play in different dimensions, and there's no occasion to get into
an area, find a few players there, and ask "what if we join
forces?".

Outside of the cities, all players are essentially playing a classic
multi-player game, but not a massively one. Your Diablo2 comparison
is apt. AO might be a social game, but it's a game where I think
most social ties will be formed beforehand: you'll arrive in with
your friends, because, most of the time, you will not meet people.

In the light of non-massive multiplayer game, having low downtime
*is* good.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!