[MUD-Dev] On socialization and convenience

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Jun 22 10:37:06 CEST 2001

From: Alex Kay [mailto:yak2 at iprimus.com.au]
> From: <Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com>

>> I don't see any easy way to keep the conflict interesting
>> however, as almost certainly one side will 'win'. Then the
>> underdog is probably unable to ever fight back without gm
>> intervention which would definitely make the victors feel
>> cheated.

> Anarchy Online claim to have a four year story planned, at which
> time one of the warring parties will be victorious.

> I assume it will be either the Clans or Omni-Tech, but there's a
> third Neutral faction and many other smaller players no doubt,
> plus possibly other galactic players could be introduced.

> I will be most interested to see just how dynamic a world Funcom
> have created on Rubi-Ka.

My comment wasn't directed at Anarchy Online, it was more aimed at a
'zone domination' themed MMORPG (something I've wanted to implement
for a while).  Anarchy Online avoids the issues somewhat by having
hard coded city factions. There is no way the rebels can capture
Omni 1 without developer intervention.

A fully dynamic world strikes me as more fun, but potentially hard
to keep interesting if one side takes control of all the cities.

Dan