FW: [MUD-Dev] Interesting EQ rant (very long quote)

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 6 11:12:04 CET 2001

>On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, John Buehler wrote:
>
>> Matt Mihaly writes:

[snip]

>> Personally, I think that in-game knowledge is going to present
>> interesting opportunities in the future, just as I believe that
>> character perceptions present opportunities.  Character knowledge
>> adds to the value of a character to the player without necessarily
>> having that character be powerful.

> In-game knowledge is not trackeable without the use of AI way beyond
> what we have now. All that can be done now is mock up a system to
> make users jump through hoops. Until you have a system that knows
> whether my character knows something (instead of pretending that the
> only way to gain a piece of knowledge is via some special command as
> opposed to general communications), then you're not modeling in-game
> knowledge. You're mocking it.

Does this mocking of in-game knowledge also extend to skill systems?

Maybe I'm just not understanding, but aren't there a lot of skill
systems out there where the _character_ has to learn something in
order to use a skill?  In these cases, it is not possible for a
_player_ to simply visit a web-site and suddenly start making the best
pizza around.  The _character_ must also develop skills to use this
knowledge in many cases.

How is this different?  It seems that our current AI works just fine
to accomplish this.  And aren't we asking the player to jump though
hoops so that the character can gain skills?  I always thought that
making this distinction between player and character was one of the
things that characterized almost all forms of RP.

I guess I don't really see the difference between this and other forms
of knowledge.  I also don't see the difficulty in tracking other forms
of knowledge, since we do a decent job of tracking a character's
knowledge about skills.

--Phinehas