[MUD-Dev] New Bartle article

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 6 11:42:28 CET 2001

Jeremy Gaffney wrote:

> So one could argue that permadeath hurts/disincentivizes roleplayers
> from playing and encourages players who form minimal attachment to a
> given character and are efficiency experts at regaining levels -
> powergamers.  Which is interesting given how often permadeath is
> stated as being a roleplaying-driven desire.

C'mon.  Give roleplayers a bit more credit.  Not all who like RP
insist on playing "Wylie Coyote," picking themselves up after being
blown up, flattened, or making that little silhouette in the ground
when falling from a great height, ready to chase after the Road Runner
and try again.

Some of us can even deal with tragedy.  In fact, some of us are able
to seen the entertainment value of many different themes and moods
that fit together to tell a story.

To me, what you stated is like saying that "Hamlet" is best enjoyed by
those only casually interested in theatre, since they are less likely
to form a strong attachment with the main character.  I say baloney.
Rather, it is precisely a strong attachment to the main character
which makes the play so poignant.

I don't want to speak for others, but this role-player likes good
stories.  I also believe that good stories can have things like
funerals, eulogies, tragedies, heroic sacrifices and such.  In fact,
sometimes, these things are what makes a story great.  While it might
not be as 'fun' as Wylie Coyote, a good story can be very
entertaining, even (and especially) when my own character, to which I
am deeply attached, suffers tragedy.

--Phinehas