[MUD-Dev] UO2 is dead

Sellers Sellers
Fri Mar 23 07:32:17 CET 2001

Dan wrote:
>> Looks like UO2 will not happen
>> Anyone know the real scoop of what happened with UO2?

> Massive lay offs at EA seem to be behind it all. They cut a lot of
> their other teams too. At last count they had dropped 80 people =/

I wouldn't say the layoffs at EA are "massive" by any stretch (though
if it's *you*, a layoff of 1 is pretty important).  Most of the
layoffs are part of EA's acquisition of pogo.com, but there are others
being laid off in some of the various studios (Maxis, thus far, is
still hiring people, many from elsewhere within EA).

In terms of the layoffs, there's a lot going on here, ranging from
long-term profitability and viability of studios and product lines, to
internal politics, to team dynamics.  But EA rarely does anything
capriciously.

On a different note, I heard some absolutely incredible, astounding,
amazing, jaw-dropping things last night about Majestic.

And I was sworn to secrecy.  But it's gonna be good. :)

Mike Sellers