[MUD-Dev] Re: licenses for RPGs (fwd)

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Fri Mar 23 08:27:34 CET 2001

Timothy Dang wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Travis Casey wrote:

>> The d20 System Reference Document has been released under WotC's
>> Open Gaming License.

> I've been trying to verify this for a while, and failing. I remember
> that that release was *supposed* to happen, but wasn't sure if it
> had happened yet, or if it had been canceled due to a change of
> heart on WotD's part.

I sort of got bored watching the progress of D20 and I was fairly
convinced that it was dead.  But yesterday I dumped a few dollars on
D20 based books.  Looks like a couple of small publishers have come
out with D20 material so they believe it is real.

If you notice, WotC is not spending a lot of money to promote D20,
although you can now see the logo on their new materials.  They are
bringing out a couple of other games under D20 such as Wheel of Time
and Star Wars, so there are some interesting prospects.  NWN is going
to be D&D 3rd edition, so if it catches on that may help D20.

So with a very positive asssertion I say "dunno". "maybe".

frank