[MUD-Dev] Information sharing (was: Re: Where are we now?)

Jon Morrow Jon at Morrow.net
Fri May 4 18:21:47 CEST 2001

> From: Koster, Raph

> Actually, even on the hobbyist side, some does get shared but it's
> not very in-depth in most forums where the sharing takes
> place. MUD-Dev is a shining exception. :)

There are a surprising number of hobbyists that make their DIKU-based
servers available to the public through their own small Web sites.
Wide usage rarely occurs, but old players often pickup the code and
carry the game's legacy forward.  It's also common for owners to pass
on their code to another immortal, player, or friend, and the results
are the same.

Is it relevant information sharing, though?  I think so.  Hobbyists
often take a lot of their game mechanics from their favorite game,
make some minor adjustments, and experience trying to keep all of the
systems balanced.  I've watched the evolution of several codebases,
and the general pattern seems to be balanced -> unbalanced ->
balanced, with every other generation (the balanced one's) being a
great game.

Also, because a generation was already successful, you have an instant
following of players.  They help you remember the good elements of the
successful generation, and you move back to being balanced fairly
rapidly.  In fact, I think it's an excellent way for newcomers to
learn about developing MUDs.

-Jon